Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday 16 December 2011

In the garden


This year my summer crop has taken a while to kick off. Partly because of the unpredictable weather we've been having due to La Nina and partly because some of my seeds didn't like the egg carton seed trays (I had to transfer them to either bigger pots or toilet rolls) and simply because I haven't had the time to get out there and give the garden a good workout.

I've managed to install drip irrigation (yes, plastic.. I know) onto one of my vegetable beds. Although it took a few trips to the hardware store and a diploma in irrigation installation, it helps IMMENSELY with saving time and saving water.


Drippers with a zucchini just starting to take off.

My herbs haven't looked back and its just an absolute delight walking out the back and picking fresh herbs for dinner. I can't wait till I can do that with my vegetables too!

Parsley going to seed.

Plenty of coriander!

Thyme and oregano.

Last year I bought some lemongrass as an experiment. It was a small sad looking punnet and its now grown into quite a large sedge of grass. I've got no clue whether its doing well or not, still, come end of summer I'll be harvesting and re-potting.

Lemongrass.

In the my irrigated patch I have oxheart and roma tomatoes, long cayanne peppers, eggplant, capsicum, zucchini and kale, along with a few bits and pieces here and there to assist with companion planting.

Oxheart tomato plant and calendula.

Sadly, my apricot and orange tree produced poorly, I've only managed to pick five delicious apricots. Although we'll have tons of mandarins this year!

Mandies!


 So that's whats happening in my garden.. what about yours?



MamaKoo

No comments:

Post a Comment